PSTricks and Textures

Michal Marvan Michal.Marvan at fpf.slu.cz
Tue Jan 20 17:51:37 CET 1998

Dear colleagues,

thanks a lot for your help and moral support re installing PSTricks
for use with Textures. Everything works O.K. now, so I am sending
the procedure as it seems to be correct:

INSTALLATION FOR USERS OF TEXTURES 1.7:

1. Get files from /CTAN/graphics/pstricks/ and put them in a folder.
   For minimum functionality you need

     src.old/pstricks.doc
     src.old/pst-node.doc
     src.old/pst-coil.doc
     src.old/pst-make.tex
     generic/textures17.con
     origdoc/pst-test.tex  (for testing your installation)

   You will not need the generic/pstricks.con file (which contains
   outdated Textures stuff).

2. Rename textures17.con as pstricks.con.

3. Run pst-make.tex under Plain format to create files

     pstricks.tex     pstricks.pro
     pst-node.tex     pst-node.pro
     pst-coil.tex     pst-coil.pro

   You must have files pstricks.doc, pst-node.doc and pst-coil.doc
   to complete this step successfully.

4. Put pstricks.con and the files obtained in Step 2 into TeX input
   folder. All files may go to a subfolder with the exception of files
   *.pro, which must not (otherwise Textures produces invalid PS files).

5. Run pst-test.tex under Plain format and print the result to see
   whether everything works.

Finally, I would like to encourage the PSTricks maintainers to update
the read-me.pst file. I was only able to find a version from 1993 when
Textures did not support the \special{prePostScriptfile ...} command.
A lot of misunderstanding arises when one tries to follow the outdated
instruction.

Hoping to have been of service

- Michal Marvan

>I am having troubles with installing PSTricks for use with Textures. I am
>running Textures 1.7.7. When I try to typeset the file pst_test.doc,
>everything goes well on the TeX level, i.e., I am not getting any TeX
>error messages, but my printer does not print anything else than
>
>   ERROR: undefined
>   OFFENDING COMMAND: TX at save
>
>   STACK:

with a blank subject and in body the line unsubscribe <email-address>