[pdftex] Problem with TrueType fonts - error "Bad metric"

Stefan Ohletz dabifml at gmx.net
Fri Feb 18 13:45:27 CET 2005

Hello,

I just tried to install some TrueType fonts with MikTeX 2.4 (Windows
XP). I'm using the Context Macro package. I was able to install several
free TrueType fonts I had downloaded, using the following commands:

ttf2afm -e 8r.enc -o artbrush.afm artbrush.ttf
texfont --en=8r --ve=truetype --co=all --makepath --install

I think I have understood how to include the generated .map files, where
to copy the .ttf files, etc. - at least everything works for this
particular font file and others, too.

But there are some other .ttf files I have problems with. One error
message I'm getting is that pdftex wasn't able to open the corresponding
.ttf file at all. (It seems to use the .tfm file, though.) When I'm
trying to open the generated .pdf file it contains errors and Acrobat
Reader hangs.

Another error message I'm getting with a font I downloaded from
www.freefont.de (you can try it yourself) is "...=sheli at 11.0pt not
loadable: Bad metric (TFM) file".

Instead of using texfont, I also tried to generate all necessary files
myself and to use another encoding (T1-WGL4). I closely followed the
article at

http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/info/german/MiKTeX-WinEdt-TrueType-Anleitung/ttf.htm

It didn't change much, though now I'm able to use the font when
generating a .dvi version of my document. But I'm getting exactly the
same error as before in case of the .pdf version.

Am I doing anything wrong or is this some known bug of pdftex? Can
anyone reproduce this error message with the Helium font I referred to
above? To be honest, I don't have a clue what role encodings play when
installing font files. Could this be a source of errors, perhaps?

Of course, regarding the Helium font I could also use the Type1 version,
which works fine on my system, but what I intended in fact was to buy
the MegaFont XXL collection from Softmaker, which only includes TrueType
fonts. Having all this trouble with TeX and TrueType fonts, I'm now
beginning to doubt if such a buy would be wise.

Thanks for any help or comments in advance,
Stefan