[pdftex] minor (old) bug?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Feb 10 22:01:46 CET 2005

Hi Heiko, and Mario,

On 11/02/2005, at 7:03 AM, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:15:41PM +0000, mario wrote:
>
>> i have the following command:
>> \chapter{\textcolor{red}{String}}
>>
>> In the final .pdf file, the entry in the bookmark
>> looks --> redString.
>>
>> Is it a bug, or my poor tex/pdf know-how?
>
> Perhaps old software.
> For example, hyperref disables \textcolor in bookmarks
> since 2003/11/30 v6.74.

This is fine, for this particular command.
But there is the general mechanism provided by
    \pdfstringdefPreHook
to fix this kind of problem;
viz.

\def\pdfstringdefPreHook{%
   \def\textcolor##1##2{##2}%
   \let\textit\relax
   \let\rm\relax
   ...  similar re-definitions ...
   def\sin{ sin}%
   def\cos{ cos}%
}

This allows you to specify exactly what string should appear
within a bookmark, when the usual expansion of a macro would
produce a lot of other tokens that are not relevant.

>> ps I know, i am not using the latest version, should I update?
>
> Why are you not trying it?

Speaking of latest versions, I believe the latest PDF spec
allows for fonts, colours and styled text within bookmarks.
Is there any effort underway to provide support for this
within hyperref ?

It would be neat to have proper math-symbols appearing
in the bookmarks, especially for section-headings, etc.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114