[pdftex] pdftex installation(2)

Klaus Jantzen KDJantzen at t-online.de
Thu Jan 31 19:09:27 CET 2002

Hi again,

thank you very much for the explanation of pdftosrc.

Now when I try to regenerate the formats I get the message
"I can't read pdftex.pool; bad path?"

What do the cryptic statements in the pdftex manual mean?
"TEXMFCNF is not set correctly and so PDFTEX cannot find texmf.cnf or
TEXPOOL in texmf.cnf doesn't contain a path to pdftex.pool .."
What is the correct setting of TEXMFCNF? Who sets TEXMFCNF? When I set
it to "/etc/texmf" the message still comes up.
What path should TEXPOOL contain? In my texmn.cnf I have
TEXPOOL = .;$WEB2C
which in turn is defined as
WEB2C =  $VARTEXMF/web2c;$TEXMF/web2c
And $VARTEXMF and $TEXMF seem to be set correctly as "normal" LaTeX
works.

I added ;$TEXPOOL// to
TEXINPUTS.pdflatex = ...
and to
TEXINPUTS.pdftex = ...
but that did not solve the problem.

BTW kpsewhich finds all the stuff; but that might not mean anything.

I am using SuSE Linux 7.3.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

K. Jantzen