[pdftex] Re: Generating small documents quickly

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Jan 31 12:29:08 CET 2002

At 10:46 AM 1/31/2002 +0100, Martin Schroeder wrote:
>On 2002-01-30 20:26:06 +0000, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> > PdfdTeX, like TeX, takes a while to start up.  The same time
> > benefit can presumably be obtained, this time by writing a
> > program pdfchop.
>
>This should be simple to do; especially if we could get pdfTeX to
>produce linearized PDF. Unfortunately even linearized PDF is not
>designed for dynamically appendig pages while generating a PDF
>file.

and even then ... what is the viewer supposed to do when you click on an
entry in the table of contents and wants to go to page 326 which is not yet
processed and available, or when the viewer wants to initialize forms and
javascripts that are not yet known ...

it's like wanting to link compiled components into a binary while still
compiling the components

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma at wxs.nl