[pdftex] pdftex installation

Gabriel J.L. Beckers beckers at rulsfb.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Jan 18 11:52:13 CET 2002

I had exactly the same problem a while ago. What to do is described in the
pdftex user manual (section 3.7), to be found at:

	http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/pdftex-s.pdf

After installing the binaries, it boils down to making new format files the
following way:

For pdftex, give the commands:
	pdftex -ini -fmt=pdftex
, and then:
	plain
, and:
	 \dump
And for pdflatex:
	pdftex -ini -fmt=pdflatex
, and then:
	latex.ltx

Make sure you do this in the proper directory,
	/usr/share/texmf/web2c/
, in my case. I am using Mandrake too (good choice), so it will likely be the
same for you.

Good luck,
Gabriel