[pdftex] redirecting tex dvi output

Lloyd Dalton daltonlp at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 16:30:18 CET 2002

Hello,

  I'm working on generating dynamic pdf output via
tex/latex and dvipdfm.  This process works fine when
the tex source is written to a file (foo.tex) and the
latex output (foo.dvi) is run through dvipdfm.

  But my goal is to eliminate the file I/O entirely.
dvipdfm's file output can be redirected to
/dev/stdout, but I've been unable to make tex store
its output anywhere other than foo.dvi or texput.dvi.

  It's possible that the Texd project
(http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/texd) has the answer,
but the list seems pretty inactive and the reference
website is down (http://www.activetex.org).  I have a
hard time believing that standard TeX offers no way to
redirect dvi output.  Can it be done?

  Apologies for asking this basic TeX question on a
list that's for pdf-specific things (although tex->pdf
is my goal).  Thanks in advance for any help.

Lloyd Dalton