[pdftex] background image gets lost

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Jan 25 08:22:27 CET 2001

Hi there. I hope someone can shed some light on this.

Compare these two PDF documents:

  http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~ross/marslide/iciam/example.pdf
  http://www.iciam.org/abstracts/cgi-bin/data/16528/body.pdf

Apart from minor differences in the \title, \author
these are meant to be the same.

The *big* difference that I observe is that the first has
a background image.
The second has too; it shows briefly as a page is refreshed,
but then gets obscured, as if the body of the paper is opaque
over the top of the image.

How are these different in the PDF ?
What causes this difference ?

Both use pdfTeX v0.14f and the same versions of the macro packages.
 (texpower, everyshi, eso-pic, hyperref and others)
One machine is a SUN, the other an Alpha; though I don't see how
that can matter.

Any help appreciated.

	Ross Moore