[pdftex] pdflatex and gnuplot and type-1 fonts

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de
Sun Aug 12 03:30:28 CEST 2001

    > When I use pdflatex on a paper of mine without figures, the
    > output looks fine and Acroread says it only has type-1 fonts.
    > But when I use gnuplot to make a figure 1a1s.png that I bring

Don't use png! gnuplot can produce eps, which is much better.
As far as I remember you have to type "set term postscript" or
similar.

    > into the latex file with an \epsfig{file=1a1s,width=5.9in}

\epsfig is quite out of date, nowadays one uses the graphicx package,
you certainly have the file grfguide.ps on your system and you should
read it. Graphicx makes much more fun.

    > command and then use pdflatex, the pdf file, paper.pdf, contains
    > type-3 fonts and has the figure all by itself on page 12 instead
    > of embedded in the text on page 6 where it should be.  Ordinary
    > latex, xdvi, and dvips work do embed the eps file, 1a1s.eps,
    > correctly on page 6 of paper.ps.

This shouldn't happen.  Probably you have an old version of pdftex,
please send me your files.  latex and pdflatex should produce the same
output.

    > My procedure involves these steps:

    > I use gnuplot with the settings set terminal pslatex color set
    > output 'temp1a1s.tex'

    > I then use latex on a file, 1a1s.tex, which has the line
    > \input{temp1a1s} to make a dvi file 1a1s.dvi.

    > I turn 1a1s.dvi into postscript with the command dvips -Ppdf -G0
    > -j0 -E -o 1a1s.ps 1a1s and into png with the further command gs
    > -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=png256 \ -sOutputFile=1a1s.png -c
    > save pop -f 1a1s.ps

Don't convert it to png. Use epstopdf instead.

    > The file 1a1s.png is then included into the latex file of my
    > paper in a figure environment with the command
    > \epsfig{file=1a1s,width=5.9in}.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			               Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover	              mailto:reinhard at kammer.uni-hannover.de