[metapost] "input mp-tool" and "input metafun" do not work

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at mac.com
Fri Jan 4 09:59:25 CET 2013

…
>> Each time I include the line
>>
>> input mp-tool;
>>
>> in a MetaPost file, it triggers this error message:
>>
>> ! I can't open file `mp-tool'.
>> l.4 input mp-tool
>>                 ;
>> Please type another input file name:  file name:
>>
>> Note that this bug has already been reported here:
>> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/68750/metapost-mptopdf-complains-cant-o
>> pen-file-mp-tool?rq=1
>>
>> The solution is apparently to enter "input mp-tool.mpii" instead of "input
>> mp-tool", but as far as I know it is not documented anywhere.
>>
>> There is something weirder: If I try "input metafun" instead of "input
>> mp-tool", as the Metafun manual also suggests, I obtain this strange error
>> message:
>>
>> ! Redundant equation.
>> <to be read again>
>>                   ;
>> l.305 mm=2.83464;      pt=0.99626;
>>                                          dd=1.06601;      bp:=1;
>> ?
>>
>> If anyone can explain me what it means…
>
> This seems to me like plain.mp is included twice...

Not by me anyway!!!

> I have not followed the recent developments in ConTeXt, but... I think I
> can suggest a workaround for your problem. Since you're using TeXShop, I
> recommend that you download the most recent version of my MetaPost
> engines (I'm not sure what version TeXShop ships with currently)

1.4.0 in TeXShop  2.47 (the most recent version for Snow Leopard). Maybe TeXShop ships a more recent version of your engines in its versions for Lion and Mountain Lion, I don't know. But I had already updated your engines to 1.4.2, long ago. I use MetaPost mostly through your nv-metapost engine :-)

> at
>
> http://users.dimi.uniud.it/~nicola.vitacolonna/home/content/metapost-engi
> nes-texshop
>
> To update the engines, just drop the *.engine files in
> ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines.
>
> Then, instead of “input metafun;” use the following directive:
>
> % !MPOST mem = metafun

I was aware of this new feature but I haven't thought of using it. When I have to use proper Metafun, it is through your nv-metafun engine. By the way, the bugs I reported do not happen when I use nv-metafun. They only occur when I use plain Metapost  with  "input metafun" and "input mp-tool" respectively.

Including the line "% !MPOST mem = metafun" does seem to remove the problem. Thanks!

But, as you said, it is a workaround, so I suppose there is also something to be corrected at a higher level. In the meantime I will use this workaround :-)

Thanks again,

Franck Pastor