[metapost] "input mp-tool" and "input metafun" do not work

Franck Pastor franck.pastor at me.com
Thu Jan 3 21:32:49 CET 2013

Hello,

In the Metafun manual, it is said that its is enough to input the "mp-tool" file, or to enter "input metafun;"  to use most of the metafun macros with the plain format of MetaPost. It does not work with the Metapost or Metafun version included in TeXLive 2012 (I use MacTeX 2012, with Mac OS X 6.8).

Each time I include the line

input mp-tool;

in a MetaPost file, it triggers this error message:

! I can't open file `mp-tool'.
l.4 input mp-tool
                 ;
Please type another input file name:  file name:

Note that this bug has already been reported here: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/68750/metapost-mptopdf-complains-cant-open-file-mp-tool?rq=1

The solution is apparently to enter "input mp-tool.mpii" instead of "input mp-tool", but as far as I know it is not documented anywhere.

There is something weirder: If I try "input metafun" instead of "input mp-tool", as the Metafun manual also suggests, I obtain this strange error message:

! Redundant equation.
<to be read again>
                   ;
l.305 mm=2.83464;      pt=0.99626;
                                          dd=1.06601;      bp:=1;
?

If anyone can explain me what it means…

Sorry for my broken English, and Happy New Year to each member of the list!

Franck Pastor