[metapost] Curl in middle of path guarantees break?

Daniel Henry Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Mon Sep 17 17:18:32 CEST 2012

[X]Shriramana Sharma [samjnaa at gmail.com] wrote:

> Could anyone please confirm this observation of mine: using curl in the

> middle of a path specification automatically breaks the smoothness there

> and hence .. z1 { curl x } .. is equivalent to .. { curl x } z1 & z1 { curl x } ..

Well, the MetafontBook says that if a direction specification is missing on

one side of a point, then whatever is on the other side will be copied there.

So, yes,

  ".. z1 { curl x } .." becomes ".. { curl x } z1 { curl x } .."

but

  "..{up} z1 {curl x} .."

is unchanged. And yes, curl can destroy smoothness; that appears to be

part of its purpose: "--" is defined to be "{curl 0}..{curl 0}".

I generally use curl only  at the start and end of a path.

Dan

--
Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences