[metapost] Problem with generating EPS from MetaFont source

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Feb 10 07:52:35 CET 2011

On 11/29/10 17:02, Michael Ummels wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am trying to use MetaPost to generate EPS files for each character in
> a MetaFont as described in Appendix B of the MetaPost manual. However,
> some strokes do not come out correctly or are missing at all in the
> resulting EPS files. I would be glad if somebody could tell me what is
> going wrong.
>
> To replicate my results, run "mpost '&mfplain \mode:=localfont;
> mag=100.375; input test'" on the file test.mf, which is given below. In
> the resulting EPS files test.2 and test.3, strokes are
> missing/incorrect, whereas test.0 and test.1 are fine.
>
> Interestingly, the problem does not occur when using pencircle instead
> of pensquare.

This is a fairly typical pensquare bug: the problem happens because
metapost has trouble deciding what the proper way to apply the pensquare
to the path is. It only happens at the exact angles 225 and 315.

I've tried, but I cannot locate where in the source the problem actually
starts, sorry.

Best wishes,
Taco