[metapost] Does MetaPost catch on?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Sep 12 23:39:49 CEST 2010

On 12-9-2010 11:25, Stephan Hennig wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 12:46 PM, luigi scarso<luigi.scarso at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> Hm, I don't know.
>>> In this situations usually I have one pdf with many pages instead of
>>> many pdfs with one page,
>>> because with context you can choose the page to insert.
>
> That way graphics are identified within the pdf file by page number, no?
> Doesn't that mean removing one figure forces you to correct references
> to all the following figures in a document, because page number depends
> on figure order in the source file? That would make synchronizing with
> external documents a pain.

it all depends on the workflow

- normally context users will define mp images in the tex source

- in that case numbers are irrelevant (I even wonder if they are aware
if beginfig at all)

- when collecting them in a pdf file, in principle a page number is not
much different from an image number in a mp file, but anyway, normally
someone would append to the end of that file when adding graphics

- if there is demand for it, it's no big deal to generate a context
image database (one can collect images in one file and access them by
label)

- in context one can define mp graphics in many ways (different
properties, reuseability, parameterized, etc) and access them by name so
there is no reason for external mp files at all as one also looses the
integration

anyway, all of this is quite irrelevant for not-context users

Hans