[metapost] Does MetaPost catch on?

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Sun Sep 12 23:07:48 CEST 2010

Am 08.09.2010 01:03, schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:

> Stefan, I still don't know what the thread is about.  Do you consider
> to provide such a Metapost distribution yourself or do you just make a
> proposal?

I'm sorry that I'm not very responsive at the moment!  In my original
reply to Karl I wanted to express my concern about MetaPost being hidden
inside TeX distributions and not getting the attention and number of
user it could have.  What came to mind to solve this was a stand-alone
MetaPost distribution, linkable and with a label

      MetaPost  (including <typesetting engine>)

rather than

      TeX  (including pdfTeX, LuaTeX, XeTeX, LaTeX, ConTeXt,
            BibTex, MakeIndex, MetaFont etc.)

You can call that a proposal, because I can't implement that myself.  I
know Open Software works another way: everybody does the things he can.
  Because of that, I'm not too worried by the objections against my
idea.  (BTW, if <typesetting engine> were a stripped-down TeX, as you
suggested in another mail, that'd be fine as well.)

What I didn't expect are the objections against my claim MetaPost is
hidden in TeX distributions.  I still think that is a valid point.

Best regards,
Stephan Hennig