[metapost] file naming question.

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Jan 20 15:46:28 CET 2010

Hi,

Walt Burkhard wrote:
> I have used MetaPost for many years.   I notice a change in how .mp
> files are created.
>
> old version:      mpost data.out   creates   data.0  data.1 data.2 etc...
>
> new version:    mpost data.out    creates  data.out.0 data.out.1
> data.out.2 etc ...

> Is there any outputtemplate to continue the "old" naming convention?

Unless you count

   outputtemplate := "data.%c";

or trickery with substrings of jobname as a valid solution, no.

I am in two minds about the new behaviour: on the one hand it is
backward incompatible, on the other hand you *did* name the file
data.out, and I am not a fan of all the automatic black magic
that always goes on with file extensions in tex/mf/mp.

Best wishes,
Taco