[metapost] wrong font in a multi-line label

Chris Heys christopher_heys at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 17 12:47:58 CET 2010

Which kind MetaPost expert will help a novice? Here's progress so far :
prologues := 3;
verbatimtex
\font\bigrm = cmr10
\nopagenumbers
\parindent = 0 bp
\bigrm
\hsize = 287 bp
etex
pair A;
A := (300, 400);
beginfig(1)
label (btex
\vbox{
``Heaven helps those who help themselves'' is a well-tried maxim,
embodying in a small compass the results of vast human experience.
The spirit of self-help is the root of all genuine growth in the
individual; and, exhibited in the lives of many, it constitutes the
true source of national vigour and strength.  Help from without is
often enfeebling in its effects, but help from within invariably
invigorates.  Whatever is done FOR men or classes, to a certain
extent takes away the stimulus and necessity of doing for
themselves; and where men are subjected to over-guidance and over-
government, the inevitable tendency is to render them comparatively
helpless.
}
etex, A);
endfig
end
This gives me a font that looks like Courier, when viewed with Gsview, instead of the requested cmr10. What am I doing wrong?
The list of examples from LORIA, otherwise excellent, unfortunately does not show how to make a multi-line label.
I prefer to not use TeX directly because I don't fully understand the Postscript that is generated by dvips.
I am running Metapost 0.641 under Cygwin under XP.