[metapost] ! MetaPost capacity exceeded

Steve MC Han hmc0907 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 15:39:50 CET 2009

Dear Taco,

Thank you for your response. You are correct that I have TaxLive 2007. But I am sorry to say that I don't understand what you described

<<In texmf.cnf, there is a parameter named main_memory, which is
set at 1500000 in your installation. To find texmf.cnf:

  $ kpsewhich texmf.cnf

You can increase that parameter up to (if I recall correctly) 8000000.>>

I could open this file using my editor. So, can I just change 1500000 to 800000 in the sentence at 524th line in the file:

main_memory = 1500000 % words of inimemory available; also applies to inimf&mp

<<Afterwards, you have to regenerate the format(s) via fmtutil.
If you want your change to affect only metapost, add or change
main_memory.mpost only. Otherwise, you will have to regerate the
latex etc. formats as well.>>

This part I am afraid to say that I don't understand one bit. If you could enumerate a little bit in detail, I would appreciate greately.

Thanks

>  Is there any way to increase memory size in Metapost? This is what I got.

You don't say what platform/distribution you are using, but it seems
you have texlive 2007. In any case, the following advice is for tex-live
based systems; miktex has a different inifile mechanism.

In texmf.cnf, there is a parameter named main_memory, which is
set at 1500000 in your installation. To find texmf.cnf:

  $ kpsewhich texmf.cnf

You can increase that parameter up to (if I recall correctly) 8000000.

Afterwards, you have to regenerate the format(s) via fmtutil.
If you want your change to affect only metapost, add or change
main_memory.mpost only. Otherwise, you will have to regerate the
latex etc. formats as well.

Best wishes,
Taco