[metapost] glyph operator and font map files

Daniel Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Tue Dec 22 21:43:05 CET 2009

On Monday, December 21, 2009 at 1:24 pm, Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote

> So why did this fail?
>
> That is because glyph only works on actual postscript fonts.
> xccsy10 is
> metafont bitmap font, and that cannot work at all (neither do truetype
> or opentype fonts).
>
> If you absolutely want that font, you will have to convert it to a
> PostScript Type1 font first.

This has already been done. At least on my system there exist
(in my texmf-local) these 6 fonts.
  xccsy10.pfb
  xccsy5.pfb
  xccsy6.pfb
  xccsy7.pfb
  xccsy8.pfb
  xccsy9.pfb
and 22 others whose names start with xcc.

The all say

  %%Creator: Michael Zedler
  %Copyright: Generated from MetaFont bitmap by mftrace 1.2.4,
  %Copyright:  http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen/mftrace/
  % Generated by FontForge 20060725 (http://fontforge.sf.net/)

A couple of years ago Michael Zedler put them out there for free, saying
they were 99% complete, but he didn't have the time to give them a final finish.

To read his own words try this link:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.text.tex/2007-02/msg00748.html
The links in that message don't work anymore.

Fonts with these names are also available (for a price) from MicroPress.

Dan
--
Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences