[metapost] Problems to run mpost 1.206

Carlos Ruiz Mora caruizmo at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 5 07:07:59 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm definitely new to MetaPost. I run the version that I got
with MikTex ver 2.7. I run it throug Crimson Editor. When I include
directives such as the one below (found in the MetaPost documentation
for version 1.206):

outputtemplate := "%j-%3c.mps";----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get the following output message:

>> outputtemplate

>> "%j-%3c.mps"

! Equation cannot be performed (numeric=string).

<to be read again>

                   ;

l.1 outputtemplate := "%j-%3c.mps";

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to make such things equal.

(See the two expressions just above the error message.)

So, it seems that the manual is wrong because lists the variable outputtemplate as string when it is recognized as numeric by mpost. So, I found out that I was running version 1.005. So I decided to find the latest version, which is 1.206. I now run that version 1.206 but now I get the following message: