[metapost] intersectiontimes

Troy Henderson thenders at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 23:45:17 CEST 2008

Try this:

--- begin cut code ---

path p,q,r;
p:=fullcircle xscaled 72 yscaled 36;
q:=fullcircle xscaled 36 yscaled 72;
r:=p;
draw p withcolor green;
draw q withcolor red;
for n=1 upto 4:
   (t[n],whatever) = r intersectiontimes q;
   z[n] = point t[n] of r;
   r:= subpath (t[n]+epsilon,length r) of r;
   fill fullcircle scaled 2 shifted z[n] withcolor blue;
endfor;

--- end cut code ---

In this case, p and q are the two paths and r is simply a copy of p
that is going to be trimmed along the way.  Basically, you continually
trim r so that the "first" point for which r intersects q is
*strictly* further (hence the need for epsilon) along than the
all.  I hope this is not too difficult to understand.  Also, anyone
with a better solution please let me know as I would love to hear it.

Troy