[metapost] Open/True Type Fonts

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat May 17 11:34:43 CEST 2008

Hi Troy,

> verbatimtex
> %&xelatex
> \documentclass{minimal}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setmainfont{Adobe Garamond Pro} % For example
> \begin{document}
> etex
>
> could be used.  This specific method does not work even with calling
> MetaPost by `mpost -tex=xelatex`.  Any ideas on how to facilitate
> this?

This approach would not even work for context, I am afraid. If you
make Metapost typeset a label, it needs a TFM file, always. I before
you ask: I currently have no plans to extend metapost to support
OTF/TTF fonts. I would welcome a patch set for such an extension,
but it would take quite a lot of effort.

So why does it work in context? Because it works the other way
around: the mp image is embedded inside a xetex/luatex document,
and the labels are handled by the surrounding tex engine instead
of by metapost itself.

Best wishes,
Taco