[metapost] makecirc question

W. Trevor King wking at drexel.edu
Thu May 8 14:54:56 CEST 2008

This is probably off topic, but I'm having trouble finding a more appropriate forum.  If anyone here knows of a better place, please let me know.

I was using makecirc in conjunction with some standard metapost code, and getting strange labeling behavior.  From the makecirc manual, it appears that the solution is to use `puttext' which seems like a renamed version of metapost's `label'.  I took a look at the makecirc code, but I don't understand what the funny `@#'s mean.  I'd like to know if

 a) someone can use makecirc with standard metapost labeling commands (in which case I'm just missing something obvious) or
 b) someone can explain the '@#' in the puttext macro definition.

I've attached a simple example showing my problem.