[metapost] Metapost: generisize() bug

Dan Luecking luecking at uark.edu
Wed Mar 19 21:10:55 CET 2008

At 04:25 AM 3/19/2008, you wrote:

>Eddie Kohler wrote:
> > Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >  > This may be a strange question, but: Do you know how to fix the
> >  > macro? Apparently it is broken now thanks to an earlier (wrong)
> >  > bugfix by me for a problem that happened with strings with "[["
> >  > in it (reported by Denis Roegel).
> >
> > It's not a STRANGE question exactly :)
> >
> > The following generisize() appears to work.

Here is a silly (if not strange) question:

Is there any particular reason this is spelled
"generisize". An operation that converts something
to its _generic_ version would normally be said to
"genericize" or "generify" or (less likely)
"generize" or "genericate" it:

   metric    >> metrify   (-ic >> -ify)
   generic   >> generify?

   metric    >> metricize  (+ize)
   generic   >> genericize?

   metric    >> meticate   (+ate)
   generic   >> genericate?

   metabolic >> metabolize (-ic >> -ize)
   generic   >> generize

Dan

Daniel H. Luecking
Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Arkansas
"Dubito ergo cogito, cogito ergo sum" --Descarte