[metapost] [mp-implementors] Metapost 1.003 release candidate

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Mar 12 10:08:04 CET 2008

Stephan Hennig wrote:

>> If the manual is correct, this is a fix that should go into 1.003,
>> but if the manual is wrong, this is for you only: changing label
>> would break backward compatibility in that case.
>
> In theory, yes.  Do you have any real use-case in mind where the current
> behaviour makes sense, i.e., might be actually used?  LaTeX picture
> environments inside btex..etex hardly count. :)

I do not believe there will be labels using btex ... etex that depend
on drawoptions any more than you do, but: the first argument of label()
is of type picture, and that picture can have a different source from
makempx processing, like:

   label(image(draw fullcircle scaled 10), (10,10));

It is very well possible that someones graphing macros out there
use code like that.

So, if the definition of label is to be changed, then I prefer to
do so in a feature release, not as part of bugfixes. In feature
release, at least people are more likely to expect changes.

Best wishes,
Taco