[metapost] MetaPost 1.001 announcement

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Nov 15 09:17:58 CET 2007

Hi Nobre,

> 1) It is about time to update the file "INSTALL". I use a Debian
> GNU/Linux system with TeX-Live 2007, so I run the script "build.linux"
> to compile the MetaPost source. This script creates a "native"
> directory containing all the necessary executables and there is no
> "mp.pool" anymore. When copying the executables to
> "texlive/2007/bin/i386-linux/" (or similar) one should remember to
> "chown root:staff *"

Would you like to volunteer for that? My personal installation is
along the lines of 'copy metapost exectables from build tree to
$HOME/bin', and that lack of procedure is (of course) reflected in
the INSTALL file.

> 2) MetaPost programs starting with
>
>    verbatimtex
>    \documentclass{article}
>    \usepackage{amsmath}
>    \usepackage{amssymb}
>    \usepackage{mathptm}
>    \begin{document}
>    etex;
>
>    defaultfont := "cmr12";
>    defaultscale := 12pt /fontsize defaultfont;
>
> are now broken when using "export TEX=latex".

I hope Hartmut has time to look into this, as I don't use latex, but
what exactly is the problem?

Best wishes,
Taco