[metapost] MetaPost - terminally ill or just playing dead?

Michail Vidiassov master at iaas.msu.ru
Thu Mar 23 12:00:20 CET 2006

Dear Laurence and All,

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Laurence Finston wrote:

> Free Software is provided on a take-it-or-leave-it basis.  Knuth and Hobby
> have moved on to other things.  Taco and the other MP developers are actively
> working on developing it.  Other people sometimes publish macros, front-ends,
> etc., and answer questions.  I think that ought to be enough.
>
> I don't know about the other developers of 3D software related to MP, but no
> one has ever asked me about these things.  If anyone ever did want me to
> increase my "volume of development activity", I'd ask whether they'd like to
> provide me with a way of making a living.

Thank you for a prompt reply.
While amateur software developers are completely free to lose interest
and abandon development (and really are expected to do that), the grue
fact is that "3D software related to MP" projects seem not to be at the
heyday of their life-cicle. Is it due to the deficiencies of metapost
as a platform or to the advanced age of the developers one can only guess,
but that may be correlated.

         Sincerely, Michail
PS.
  Sorry for offtopic.
  I had an intention to provoke people a little bit by a tiny
amount of overstatement, but things got out of control.