[metapost] Umlaute with Metapost

Matthias Pospiech matthias.pospiech at gmx.de
Thu Mar 24 09:35:28 CET 2005

I cannot use Umlaute with Metapost. And the standard \"a cannot work because
of the ". Here is a example of my code. Hope you have an idea what to change.
If I can write the Umlaute in a way LaTeX recognises them and they can be
written inside Metapost Code it would be ok too.

% --- Some code that us used --
input latexmp.mp

setupLaTeXMP(
class="article",
options="10pt",
packages="babel[german],fontenc[T1],inputenc[latin1],helvet[scaled=0.8]",
preamble="\renewcommand*{\rmdefault}{\sfdefault}\newcommand{\textsize}
{\small}"
)

def printtext(text t)=
	textext(t)
enddef;

def histbarlabel_left(text t) =
	label.lft(printtext(t) scaled 1.0,(0,histbartextheight(histbarnumber)));
enddef;

%--- The problematic part:

beginfig(1);
	histbarlabel_left("fächerübergreifenden Bachelor");
endfig;
end;

-> All Umlaute disappear

If I change to
	histbarlabel_left("f\"acher\"ubergreifenden Bachelor");

It does not work, because of all the "

Ideas?
Matthias

Matthias Pospiech