[math-font-discuss] Setting up fonts for TeX maths

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jul 15 02:26:37 CEST 2010

    I wondered if either of the following sorts of resources were available:
            - a more complete glyphtounicode list for TeX maths encodings;
            - guidelines of any sort on identifying suitable glyphs for the
              various slots.

Not that I'm aware of.

    The extensible glyphs are proving especially tricky

Maybe choosing glyphs comparable with what's in cmex10 would give you a
starting point?  But I don't think it should really matter.  I guess in
principle smaller extensible parts are better, since it can result in
more fine-grained output.

Without actually looking at the PDF (sorry), here are some comments:

   {lslashslash}
   is there anything I should substitute for lslashslash?

As long as you have Lslash and lslash, I see no point in worrying about
lslashslash.

   {vector}{20D7}

Well, vector is important.

   {tie}

Is tie just a copy of the text accent?

    table (e.g. one which includes the glyph names),

t1testpage output includes glyph names.  When I was working on
Inconsolata that was the chart I found most useful.

As for the major issues, I'm afraid there is no magic bullet.  Checking
the output from math samples (like the challenge exercises, etc.) and
fixing the font accordingly is the only decent method I know of.
There's one sample file in
ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/psnfssx/lucidabr/lucida-amsmath.tex.  (It
doesn't have anything to do with lucida specifically, it's the usual
amsmath test file.)

In hunting around in writing this reply, I came across
ctan.org/fonts/utilities/mathinst/, which I've never really looked at.
Maybe there is something of use in there?

I'm happy to work with you on it further.  As you know, I had hoped that
posting here would garner info on more resources I was unaware of, but
if not ...

thanks,