[math-font-discuss] Ye Olde LaTeX math font?

Ari Stern ari at caltech.edu
Tue Mar 18 07:05:17 CET 2008

While I have no idea what package(s) Griffith used, you can get about
90% of the way there pretty easily.  First, this looks like a
Times-ish font, not Computer Modern (which is the (La)TeX default).
Try putting \usepackage{mathptmx} or \usepackage[varg]{txfonts} in the
preamble to switch to Times.  Next, replace the \hbar with an \hslash
to get the upward-sloping (rather than horizontal) bar across your h.

Try as I might, though, I couldn't get anything that looked remotely
like that \psi character.  Who knows ... it might be a commercial math
font, or even just some characters taken from a "symbol" font.  Anyone
else have a clue?  (Then again, you could always email the man
himself: http://academic.reed.edu/physics/faculty/griffiths.html.)

Finally, you should definitely check out the "Survey of Free Math
Fonts for TeX and LaTeX," which provides a good comparison of several
widely-used packages that are probably already in your TeX
distribution: http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/info/Free_Math_Font_Survey/survey.html

Cheers,
Ari