[math-font-discuss] what is the status of new math font encodings (mathfont-0.59a)?

Joe Wells jbw at macs.hw.ac.uk
Sun May 20 03:08:52 CEST 2007

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

> Hi Joe,
>
> I don't know anything about the provenance and outcome of the "new" math
> encodings and only recently became aware of the whole effort myself.  As
> you have seen, it appears to be moribund.
>
> Can anyone explain more?

Hi, Karl,

Most of what I know about it is in the paper “Towards a new Math Font
Encoding for LaTeX” by Clasen and Vieth in EuroTeX 1998.  Also,
Küster's presentation “Designing Math Fonts” at BachoTeX 2004
prominently mentions the new math font encodings.  Küster seems to
imply that he considers the new math font encodings (under the name
“NewMath”) the new standard and that the “LatinModern Math Fonts” will
be encoded in the “NewMath” standard.

I haven't yet been able to read the documentation in the package
itself because no .dvi or .pdf is provided, the .dtx file depends on
the package being installed, and the installation instructions don't
work for me.  (The installation difficulty so far seems like it might
just be a matter of setting up some paths correctly, but maybe I will
encounter more trouble later.)

Has anyone here successfully installed the package?  Is there a Debian
package for it anywhere?

--
Joe