[math-font-discuss] Modifying a font such that it can be used as mathfont in TeX

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Jan 19 23:47:21 CET 2007

    Unicode mathfont suitable for TeX?

A Unicode math font is (at present) irrelevant for standard TeX.  What's
needed are to construct TeX math italic, symbol, and extension fonts, by
which I mean tfm files with the necessary \fontdimen parameters.

The details of those parameters is written down in Appendix G of the
TeXbook.  Boguslaw Jackowski (of Latin Modern fame) wrote an article
recently ("Appendix G illuminated") that discussed some obscure points
there and gave illustrations.  I am not aware of other significant
documentation on the subject -- no royal road, I think you just have to
dig in.  Can start by copying the values from another font, eg, Computer
Modern, but significant tweaking will be necessary no matter what, I can
tell you from experience.  It was actually kind of fun, approached in
the right light.

For maximum usage within TeX (ie, to use with dvips), the LinuxLibertine
font will need to be transformed into pfb files.

    http://www.dante.de/dante/events/mv35/programm/niedermair/niedermair-font-libertine.pdf

Indeed, Michael told me a while ago he would look into creating TeX
support for Libertine (among other such projects).  It seems Michael
isn't on this list, so you might write him at m.g.n -at- gmx.de ...

Best,
Karl