[OS X TeX] MacPorts and TeX Live

M A markoilcan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 18:54:16 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Enrico Franconi <franconi at inf.unibz.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have TeX Live installed by downloading the distribution and updating it via the TeX Live Utility.
> When I try to install packages from MacPorts needing TeX Live, MacPorts does not realise that I have already TeX Live installed, and it will download and recompile everything from scratch.
> Is there a way to tell MacPorts to use the already installed TeX Live distro?

This is probably best asked on the macports list, but, I believe the
answer is yes, but it
depends on what type of dependency on Tex exists. Does the package
need some libraries
(which may not be installed with TexLive)? Does it need the
latex/pdflatex/tex binary?
Some configuration file? Once you have that figured out you would need
to edit the
port file and change the dependency under depends_lib (or similar
depending on how this
package depends on Tex) away from a port dependency to whatever
specific dependency
actually exists. See the macports documentation
http://guide.macports.org/#reference.dependencies
for details. I have certainly accomplished this in the past, but
things may have changed
since then.

Mark A