[l2h] latex2html i-Package

Gerben Wierda Sherlock at rna.nl
Mon Apr 28 00:02:47 CEST 2003

On Sunday, Apr 27, 2003, at 23:50 Europe/Amsterdam, Wendy McKay wrote:

About an i-Package for latex2html:

> Ross said he asked you a year ago ;-)
> I second that motion.  It will make my transition in June/July to OS X
> a lot smoother.

I just had another request for it today. So, let's see.

I looked on my system and it seems I made an attempt a while back (and
just now with latex2html-2002-2 which is the latest version). I just
looked at it again and I know now why I gave up then: the
configuration/install is rather broken, that is, fine for a single
user, not very fine for someone trying to create a redistribution (e.g.
it wants to use my personal texmf directory, it is confused about a
different destination directory, etc, etc. I think I gave up then. I am
also put off by ChangeLog files that end in 1998 etc. Running mktexlsr
(which is fine for installing form source, but useless when installing
for redistribution)

Here is what I do and should work:

     67  0:55    make distclean
     68  0:55    ./configure
--with-texpath=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex
     69  0:55    make
     70  0:55    make DESTDIR=/usr/local/Build/latex2html install

> Info: Installed
> /usr/local/Build/latex2html/usr/local/lib/latex2html/versions/utf8.pl
>
> Note: trying to install LaTeX2HTML style files in TeX directory tree
>      (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex)
> Error: Could not create directory
> "/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex": Permission denied
>
> Error: Cannot install LaTeX2HTML style files in
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/latex
> Done. Have a lot of fun with LaTeX2HTML!

For latex2html at tug.org: After looking some more, the install.pl is
broken because it does not take DESTDIR into account when creating
TEXPATH. DESTDIR is used in the install_file procedure only.

"To be or not to be, that is the question" -- Parmenides