[l2h] installation trouble

Martin Wolf Martin Wolf" <martin@familiewolf.de
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:12:36 +0100

Hi Matt,

> I am trying to install latex2html on a Win98se machine.  I run miktex 2.0,
ghostscript 6.50, and I
> have the most recent version of netpbm that I could find.

And what version of perl??

I had this problem also and described the solution in a mail last septembre.
Here is the relevent part (it had taken a day to discover that):

<<snipp>>

***** FIRST *****
problem: config won't be able to discover the dvips-version of MikTeX 1.20e.
         it also failed in recognizing the ability of pnmcrop recognizes
the -l switch
cause  : analyzing the config.pl I realized, that the get_out_err subroutine
         delivers $stat=-1 although the called command finishes without
error.
         the reason why is a PERL BUG, occuring in ActivState Perl 5.6.0
Build 611 I had installed.
         consulting the perl bug database, the bug seemed to stay until
Build 616.
         Whether earlier versions are also buggy I don't know.
solution:With the new version Build 618 everything works fine. Perhaps a
hint could be
         added in the Install file, as this is really difficult to find.

<<snipp>>

Was I right?

Martin

  ##         ##     Martin Wolf