[Fontinst] Ligatures in a monowidth font

Plamen Tanovski pgt at arcor.de
Sun Aug 26 11:27:59 CEST 2012

Hi,

for the first time I'm making the metrics for a monowidth font and
there are few questions arising:

1. The font has ligatures, which have the same width as the rest.
Should I use them? This is more a matter of typography, and in my
opinion ligatures don't belong to a unproportional font. I'm attaching
a sample with ligatures for judgement.

2. If ligatures are not used, why are their slots not free in t1.etx
in case monowidth is setted? So I can use them for other glyphs like
alternative zero glyphs, etc.

3. Why are the en- and emdash made of hyphens in the mtx files? Since
the font has those dashes with the same width as the rest, I prefer to
use them.

4. What is the purpose of the repositioning the asterik in
ltpunct.mtx?

best regards