[Fontinst] Latin Modern fonts: small caps and accents

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Wed May 26 13:40:36 CEST 2010

cfrees at imapmail.org skrev:
> On Tue 25th May, 2010 at 12:25, Lars Hellström seems to have written:
>
>> \installfont{clmcsc8t10}{%
>>  ec-lmcsc10 encoding txtfdmns,lmcsc8ttl10,%
>>  \metrics\unsetint{acccapheight},newlatin%
>> }{t1-clm}{T1}{clm}{m}{sc}{}
>
> That's wonderful - thank you.
>
> I altered my driver file to do this with all of the fonts (though
> without the line breaks). I ran the file and the output looks normal
> except that I have a dvi in addition to what I'd expect. When this
> happens, I can usually figure out why but not this time. The file
> consists of 15 pages of a single line repeated - "0a1,16". Checking the
> files in my working directory, grep tells me this is found only in the
> dvi itself.
>
> The main ecoding file, t1-clm.etx, and the driver file itself I thought
> to be prime suspects. The encoding file seems clean, though. (A shorter
> test driver file using the same encoding does not produce dvi output.)
> And I can't see anything in the driver file which looks suspicious - it
> does not even contain the number 16, never mind the whole line. The
> other custom encoding files I use are unaltered from the last time I
> produced this package so I'm assuming I can rule them out.
>
> What else should I be checking/looking for? I think I must be missing
> something obvious if it is repeated enough in my source to fill almost
> 15 pages!

It could be a bug which hasn't surfaced before because something is
being used in an unusual way; the "encoding txtfdmns" trick only
occurred to me as I was answering your mail.

One thing you could try is to add the command \nullfont near the top of
the driver file (after \begin{document} if you're working under LaTeX).
This will cause the log file to contain warnings about missing
characters rather than a .dvi file to be generated, and should at least
narrow down what file is being input when these lines are being produced.