[Fontinst] Need help with Hoefler Text Type1

John D Lamb J.D.Lamb at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 11 08:35:35 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 20:13 +0200, Robin Schwab wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to create a LaTeX adaption for Hoefler Text Type 1 on a
> Windows machine. This font comes with almost every variation you might wish.
>
> However there are two big problems: 1st the expert set containing all
> ligatures ff, ffh, st, ... does not work. I think the reason for that is
> that they are not in the .afm file. Any ideas where they could be?

I don't think there's anything in fontinst that automatically finds
ligatures for you. To get ligatures, I think you need to create an etx
file. I've done this for a couple of fonts, including Hoefler Requiem,
which contains more ligatures than Hoefler text.

To create an etx file copy t1.etx from the texmf folder to wherever you
are creating the LaTeX font information. Rename it to something like
ehtt1.etx and edit it to create the ligatures. For example, I define the
s ligatures with

   \setslot{\lc{S}{s}}
      \comment{The letter `{s}'.}
      \ligature{LIG}{f}{sf}
      \ligature{LIG}{h}{sh}
      \ligature{LIG}{k}{sk}
      \ligature{LIG}{p}{sp}
      \ligature{LIG}{t}{st}
   \endsetslot

Then, later, I've replaced some of the unavailable characters with sf,
sh, sk, sp and st:

  \setslot{sf}
     \comment{The ligature `sf'.}
     \ligature{LIG}{i}{sfi}
     \ligature{LIG}{r}{sfr}
     \ligature{LIG}{y}{sfy}
  \endsetslot

Rather than use the T1 encoding, I used a local encoding for Requiem.
I've also used the relenc package for another font. Both methods allow
me to create composite characters.

To get kerning to work correctly, you'll also need to set the kerns for
the ligatures. I use a .mtx file with entries like:

\setleftkerning{sf}{s}{1000}
\setrightkerning{sf}{f}{1000}
\setleftkerning{sfi}{s}{1000}
\setrightkerning{sfi}{i}{1000}
\setleftkerning{sfr}{s}{1000}
\setrightkerning{sfr}{r}{1000}
\setleftkerning{sfy}{s}{1000}
\setrightkerning{sfy}{y}{1000}
\setleftkerning{sh}{h}{1000}

You'll also need to reglyph some of the fonts.

For problem 2., all I can suggest is using microtype. If you don't use
the T1 encoding, you can copy one of the microtype .cfg files to
something like mt-eht.cfg in the local branch of the TeX tree. Edit it
and include your encoding in the list of encodings it recognises.

If you don't follow all of this I can send you all the files I used to
create the files LaTeX needs to use Hoefler Requiem (except the afm and
pfb files of course).

--
JDL