[Fontinst] normal, compact, expand and fontinst

Michael A Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Feb 9 22:46:21 CET 2007

Looking at the archives, I hope this is a user list and not just
development ... apologies if it is developer.

I'm trying to use fontinst to install the "Phollick" family by
Typotheticals (Graham Meade).

I'm using a feb 2 tlive 2007 test release on i386 linux
I'm trying to follow instructions in fontinstallationguide.pdf which has
worked fabulously for me with fonts that have just the four standard
faces (r,ri,b,bi)

Technically I only need the upright roman font for what I'm doing with
the font in LaTeX, and that works, but the bundle with all six was
inexpensive so I just got the bundle.

For the berry name I used fpk as it looks like pk isn't officially taken
in the Sept 2005 fontname.pdf file. The fonts are all standard adobe
encoding.

This is how I renamed them -
phollick.{afm,pfb}                   --> fpkr8a.{afm,pfb}
phollick_oblique                     --> fpkro8a
phollick_compact                     --> fpkr8ac
phollick_compact_oblique             --> fpkro8ac
phollick_expand                      --> fpkr8ae
phollick_expand_oblique              --> fpkro8ae

This is my driver fpk-drv.tex file:
\input fontinst.sty
\needsfontinstversion{1.927}
\recordtransforms{fpk-rec.tex}
\latinfamily{fpk}{}
\endrecordtransforms
\bye

This is my fpk-map.tex file:
\input finstmsc.sty
\resetstr{PSfontsuffix}{.pfb}
\adddriver{dvips}{fpk.map}
\input fpk-rec.tex
\donedrivers
\bye

I do the standard

tex fpk-drv.tex
for PL in *.pl; do
    pltotf ${PL}
done
for VPL in *.vpl; do
    vptovf ${VPL}
done
tex fpk-map.tex

and it seems to work - but the map file only points to two of the pfb
files:

fpkr8r Phollick <8r.enc <fpkr8a.pfb " TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont "
fpkro8r PhollickOblique <8r.enc <fpkro8a.pfb " TeXBase1Encoding
ReEncodeFont "

I still have a lot to learn about type1 fonts in LaTeX but I'm guessing
the compact and expand variants of the font can't be used if the map
file doesn't point to the actual pfb files, so I think I must be doing
something wrong (missing something?) in the fpk-drv file.

Any hints would be appreciated.

-=-
Also - I know fake font faces are generally frowned upon in typesetting,
but does anyone know of a simple way (IE maybe fontforge cli command) to
script creation of bold weight afm/pfb from the real fonts? This is a
script font, like comic sans but (imho) better looking, so if a
generated bold isn't perfect it may not be a big deal. The designer did
not produce bold for this family (maybe for a reason, I guess I'll find
out if I try).