[Fontinst] License of the fontinst documentation

Ulrik Vieth ulrik.vieth at arcor.de
Sun Feb 26 00:53:50 CET 2006

Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Frank Küster wrote:
>

>> But there's also files in the talks subdirectory for which no source is
>> currently available.  Do you know about the license situation for them,
>> or should I try to contact Ulrik or Taco?  And, for that matter, I guess
>> roadmap.eps has been created with MetaPost - do you happen to have the
>> sources available?
>

> I completely forgot I helped with that talk. The documents were
> prepared by Ulrik (I do not have sources and am not an author).

Hi Frank,

I prepared the documents for a presentation at EuroTeX 99 and Taco
assisted with the presentation. Therefore his name was on it as well.

As for licensing, I never bothered to define any specifc license for
the documents. As far as I know, they have been available on CTAN
since fontinst-prerelease-1.914 in November 1999. (I just checked the
CTAN CD 2000, which shows a filedate of Nov 16 1999 for doc/talks.)

As for sources, I may still have them somewhere on my local machine,
but they were never released, partly because the fonts required to
typeset the documents are non-free (Lucida Bright) and partly because
the PDF doucments are the final form intended for consumption.

As for roadmap.eps, the diagram was presumably created by Alan Jeffrey
and has been part of earlier fontinst distributions since 1995.

The orignal source of the EPS may have been created with xfig, since
the archive copy of fontinst-1.504 contains a file roadmap.fig along
with roadmap.eps, which can be found here:

ftp://ftp.tug.org/historic/fonts/utilities/fontinst/fontinst-1.504/doc/

Please let me know, if you need and further statement of clarification
regarding the licensing isseue.

Ulrik Vieth