[Fontinst] title graphic

Walter Schmidt w.a.schmidt at gmx.net
Wed Jun 22 18:46:45 CEST 2005

Stephan Hennig schrieb:

> when I try to build a document using Palatino pdflatex complains about
> some missing font files:
>
> {8r.enc}
> Warning: pdflatex (file por_____.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
> reading
> Warning: pdflatex (file pob_____.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
> reading

The configuration of pdfTdX is apparently broken.  It searches
for the commercial Adobe fonts (named por_____.pfb stc), rather
than for the free substitutes (URW Palladio) which come with the
TeX system.

> Copying and renaming the files
> p052003l.pfb
> p052004l.pfb
> p052023l.pfb
> p052024l.pfb
> from ghostscript worked,

Well, the right way would have been to fix the configuration of
pdfTeX, so that it searches for p052003l.pfb etc.

> but then again AR7 shows "URWPalladioL" instead
> of something like "Palatino-Roman". As can be seen above, epstopdf _can_
> embed a font that's called Palatino.

Either you have the original Palatino fonts somwehere on your PC,
so that epstopdf uses them, or epstopdf uses actually Palladio and
can fake the /FontName in the generated PDF file -- I don't know.

> If that is of comparable quality to
> URWPalladio (Is hinting an issue?)

You won't see any difference in quality.

> I'd like to use that with LaTeX. Is that possible?

Obtain the commercial Adobe font files such as por_____.pfb etc.
and put them into a directory where pdfTeX will find them.

Walter