[Fontinst] title graphic

Stephan Hennig mailing_list at arcor.de
Thu Jun 16 20:51:58 CEST 2005

Lars Hellström schrieb:
> At 19.52 +0200 2005-06-15, Stephan Hennig wrote:

> Would it be much difficult to make use of e.g. the boxes.mp
> macros to draw the same picture?

No, I did that already.

>>(ii) Due to MetaObj
>
> Yes, that could be an issue. The MP code looks like it depends on a rather
> high  level tool, and it feels a bit like this high level setting
> contributes to the code complexity as much as the actual content of the
> illustration.

So you prefer coding postscript then? :)

>>the nodes aren't transparent but have a white background.
>
> Good or bad? I'm undecided -- on one hand it could be a help for people who
> want to put it on top of a coloured background, but on the other it is an
> unexpected complication.

MetaObj's mandatory background color is one thing that really bothers
me.

>>(iii) Instead of Helvetica and Palatino URW clones are used.
>
> For the metrics, you mean? (The actual fonts used will be whatever the PS
> interpreter uses for Helvetica and Palatino-Italic anyway.) Is there even
> any difference? (If they're clones, then there shouldn't be any, eh?)

What I meant was that if you're using Adobe Helvetica somewhere else in
the fontinst manual, also URW clones are included in the document since
they are embedded in the graphic (correct me if I'm wrong). [1]

>>(iv) File sizes of eps and pdf file more than doubled.

With boxed.mp the file size of the postscript output halved. Though, the
pdf output generated by mptopdf is still ca. 20kB large as opposed to
5kB of the original. (However, when I convert the eps with epstopdf it's
file size drops down to 6kB. I'm now wondering what's the difference
between both tools.)

> Providing ready-made EPS and PDF is a good idea when presenting pictures
> like this

To reduce list traffic I uploaded alternative sources and eps|pdf here:
<URL:http://home.arcor.de/stephanhennig/Downloads/o-roadmap.zip>

> Would you be
> prepared to contribute this to the fontinst distribution? (Or to state it
> more legally: Do you permit licensing this under the LPPL?)

That was my original intention. Is there any standard phrase that needs
to be included in the source code? I couldn't find any in fontinst.tex.

Regards,
Stephan Hennig

[1] Which leads me to the question: how do I set up my environment to
use Adobe's original fonts in LaTeX, pdfLaTeX and MetaPost? Currently, I
only managed to use Adobe Times, Helvetica and Courier from AR3 in
pdfLaTeX by adding the lines

\pdfmapfile{thc}
\pdfmapfile{+psfonts}

to the preamble of my tex files with the thc.map file as shown below.
Adding this map file to updmap.cfg and running 'updmap' doesn't work on
MiKTeX. The entries from thc.map are ignored as duplicated.

If this is the wrong place to discuss this question, a pointer to the
appropriate location would be nice.

thc.map (remove line breaks):

ptmr8r  Times-Roman-Embed      "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
<TIR_____.PFB
ptmb8r  Times-Bold-Embed       "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
<TIB_____.PFB
ptmri8r Times-Italic-Embed     "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
<TII_____.PFB
ptmbi8r Times-BoldItalic-Embed "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
<TIBI____.PFB
phvr8r  Helvetica-Embed             "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <HV______.PFB
phvb8r  Helvetica-Bold-Embed        "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <HVB_____.PFB
phvro8r Helvetica-Oblique-Embed     "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <HVO_____.PFB
phvbo8r Helvetica-BoldOblique-Embed "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <HVBO____.PFB
pcrr8r Courier-Embed              "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <COM_____.PFB
pcrb8r Courier-Bold-Embed         "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <COB_____.PFB
pcrro8r Courier-Oblique-Embed     "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <COO_____.PFB
pcrbo8r Courier-BoldOblique-Embed "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont"
<8r.enc <COBO____.PFB