[Fontinst] PCC problem

Alexej Kryukov akrioukov at newmail.ru
Tue Jun 14 11:41:34 CEST 2005

Hello,

I am trying to install the Monotype Times New Roman SF
family. Except standard Western characters, Monotype SF fonts
also contain some additional glyphs, in particular those usually
present in Expert fonts. In order to make these glyphs accessible
I decided to reencode the font into the Adobe Expert encoding,
i. e.:

\enctoetx{/usr/share/texmf/dvips/base/asexp}{asexp}
\transformfont{mntr8x}{\reencodefont{asexp}{\fromafm{mntr9s}}}

The problem is that the afm files contain a "Composites" block,
so that the definitions of composite characters are written
into mtx files, even if the Adobe Standard encoding doesn't
include the base glyphs these composites are buit from (e. g.
standard Latin letters). So, processing these mtx files by fontinst
fails with PCC error. I would like to know, if it is possible to
workaround the problem? If not, I think it would be important
to provide such a workaround in future versions...

--
Regards,
Alexej Kryukov <akrioukov at newmail dot ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty