[Fontinst] table figures?

Ingo Reich ireich at mac.com
Mon May 23 17:27:18 CEST 2005

Lars,

>>3. put each numeral centered in a box of width x
>
>Yes, that is probably the right thing to do. E.g.
>
>\resetglyph{zero}
>   \moveright{\half{\sub{\int{digitwidth}}{\width{zero}}}}
>   \glyph{zero}{1000}
>   \moveright{\otherhalf{\sub{\int{digitwidth}}{\width{zero}}}}
>\endresetglyph

could you comment a little bit on what this definition actually does? (It seems to me that line 2 and 4 center the glyph zero, and line 3 determines the width of glyph zero which is, in case of 1000, the original width. But isn't it possible/probable that the width of glyph zero differs from the width of, say, glyph one?)

>(or did you think about doing that using LaTeX macros? That probably
>wouldn't be easy to make to work with digits from autogenerated numbers,
>such as page numbers and the like.)

This is what first came to my mind -- though I do not know (yet), what such a macro could look like; in the end it should be possible to simply write something like \textmono{123} or \textmono[1em]{123} where the first argument determines the width of each character. (Sounds a bit like letterspacing to me, so maybe I should have a look at uline.sty or letterspacing.sty. Nevertheless, suggestions for possible implementations are very much appreciated.) Of course you've got a point concerning autogenerated numbers, though an (o.k., ugly) workaround could be to copy and paste the relevant definitions and change \thepage to \textmono{\thepage} etc.

Best, Ingo