[Fontinst] can't follow Lehman tutorial

Philipp Lehman lehman at gmx.net
Wed Mar 23 00:27:28 CET 2005

Mick,

I just copied your drivers and ran them through Tex, but I can't
reproduce your problem. It all works as expected. A few remarks:

> The first stage of his tutorial suggests running a file like
> this
>
>   \input fontinst.sty
>   \needsfontinstversion{1.926}
>   \recordtransforms{pac-rec.tex}
>   \latinfamily{pac}{}
>   \endrecordtransforms
>   \bye

For the list: this file is called pac-drv.tex in the tutorial.

> The next stage is to use the contents of pac-rec.tex as an
> input to something like
>
> \input finstmsc.sty
> \resetstr{PSfontsuffix}{.pfb}
> \adddriver{dvips}{caslon.map}
> \input pac-rec.tex
> \donedrivers
> \bye

And that's pac-map.tex. Both files are fine.

> The pac-rec.tex file has only entries like the following
> (yes, there are several identical entries for pacr8r,
> followed by several identical entries for other fonts)
>
>     \makemapentry{pacr8r}
>     \makemapentry{pacr8r}
>     \makemapentry{pacr8r}

Multiple lines with \makemapentry for the same font are perfectly
normal, but pac-rec.tex is missing the instructions concerning the
actual data. The file should contain something like this:

\storemapdata{pacr8a}{\fromafm{pacr8a}{ACaslon-Regular}}{}
\storemapdata{pacr8r}{\frommtx{pacr8a}}{\reencodefont{8r}}
\makemapentry{pacr8r}
\makemapentry{pacr8r}
\storemapdata{pacrc8a}{\fromafm{pacrc8a}{ACaslon-RegularSC}}{}
\storemapdata{pacrc8r}{\frommtx{pacrc8a}}{\reencodefont{8r}}
\makemapentry{pacrc8r}
\makemapentry{pacrc8r}

Apparently, something went wrong while processing pac-drv.tex. Unless
this rings a bell with Lars, the next step would be checking
pac-drv.log for warnings.

--
Philipp Lehman <lehman at gmx.net>