[Fontinst] Mapmaking \reglyphfont command

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at math.umu.se
Wed Mar 16 18:20:41 CET 2005

At 20.58 +0100 2005-03-14, Juan M Alberdi wrote:
>Hello,
>
>This has to do with reglyphing at the mapmaking level. Before making any
>transformation or installation of my fonts with fontinst I'd like to
>reglyph my fonts to the names in the standard encoding files of fonttinst.
>Too many of my glyphs have names like Aacute.sc, one.oldstyle, or f_l.
>Those can be changed in the .afm file with the reglyphing commands at the
>fontinst.sty level,

I assume you rather mean "in the .mtx file", since that is all that
\reglyphfont will generate.

>and I know how to do it.
>
>However, after finishing the installation and writing a map file for dvips
>I will need to rename back my glyphs to the names in the .pfb file. In the
>fontinst manual (v1.9 July 2004, page 17) I see that perhaps finstmsc.sty
>could work with a \reglyphfont command, which I do n't find documented on
>the manual. Please, could anyone help me?

The manual currently on CTAN may explain this a bit more, but anyway: The
finstmsc.sty \reglyphfont command only raises an error, and it's supposed
to do that, because in the context of map file making it only gets
processed if things have gotten confused. (If the file you've used as input
to \transformfont was generated by \reglyphfont.)

The only place where one needs to worry about MTX file glyph names matching
those in the PFB is when reencoding, since this is the process of assigning
new slots to glyphs based on their names. If you change the glyph names and
then reencode, then you're in trouble because you only changed the names
inside fontinst. If on the other hand you first reencode and then reglyph
there is no problem, but you'll need an encoding which uses the nonstandard
names in your font. There's no way around that however, since no matter
what you do with fontinst, the Postscript interpreter will need an encoding
vector that uses the actual glyph names in the font.