[Fontinst] Problem generating OT2 Minion Cyrillic

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Sat Aug 30 17:54:10 CEST 2003

Hi,

I'm obviously too stupid to understand the correct procedure
generating a valid OT2 encoded Minion-Cyrillic font with fontinst.

I tried something like

\input fontinst.sty
% the next two files and cyrillic.mtx are from the t2 package
\input fnstcorr
\input cyralias
\installfonts
\resetint{minimumkern}{4}
\transformfont{pmnr7r} {\reencodefont{OT2}{\fromafm{pmnr7k}}}
\installfont{pmnr7k}{pmnr7r,cyrillic}{OT2}{OT2}{pmnx}{m}{n}{}
\endinstallfonts
\bye

First there must be something wrong with definitions
\setint{xheight}{\height{cyrh}}
\setint{capheight}{\height{CYRA}}
\setint{ascender}{\height{cyrb}}
\setint{descender}{\depth{cyrr}}
in cyrillic.mtx because I always got error messages like

(./cyrillic.mtx
! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                   \bgroup
\sub #1#2->#1\bgroup \a_count =\result \eval_expr
                                                  {#2}\advance
\a_count -\re...

\eval_expr #1->\global \result =#1
                                  \x_relax
\max ...1\bgroup \a_count =\result \eval_expr {#2}
                                                  \ifnum \a_count
>\result \...

\eval_expr #1->\global \result =#1
                                  \x_relax
\moveup #1->\eval_expr {#1}
                           \ifnum \result =0\else \advance
\glyph_voffset by...

\topaccent ...sub {\height {#1}}{\int {xheight}}}}
                                                   \movert {\add {\sub
{\sca...
l.184 \setglyph{CYRYI}\topaccent{I}{dieresis}{500}
                                                  \endsetglyph
?

Ok, a char table looks ok. But when typing typical russian sentences
-- and looking into the vpl -- it becomes obvious that all ligatures
are missing (like 'obp2ekt', 'tsarp1' etc.).

Please could someone explain me (1) the general correct procedures and
(2) my concrete misunderstandings?

Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr

P.S. pmn.map:
pmnr7k MinionCyr-Regular "OT2AdobeEncoding" <ot2.enc <pmnr7k.pfb