[Fontinst] fontinst v1.924 usage

Walter Schmidt w-a-schmidt at arcor.de
Wed Mar 26 19:55:45 CET 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:17:38 +0100, Lars Hellström wrote:

>>One resulting problem is that I am getting package submissions that
>>rely on fontinst but that are not compatible with either version
>>that we hold.

I suggest to ask him, whether he actually means fontinst 1.924.
Maybe he refers only to the updated 8r encoding or to my latest
patches.  I can hardly believe that 1.924 is already widely used.

>PS: Is anyone making programmatic use of the INFO> lines emitted by the
>\latinfamily command anymore? The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking
>about replacing latin.mtx by newlatin.mtx in this command, [...]
>and this could change some of these messages slightly. I suppose Walter
>might be using them [...]

I don't quite understand what the use of the INFO lines is,
apart from telling me what fontinst is doing...

>but I would also suspect that he may anyway have overridden the
>fontinst.sty definition of \latin_encodings in his production set-up and
>thus wouldn't be affected.

Normally I don't use \latinfamily in my "production environment",
anyway.  Thus, the change will not constitute a problem for me.

best wishes
Walter

PS:
I will be out of office and off-line from tomorrow until Sunday