[Fontinst] PSNFSS for URW fonts?

Walter Schmidt w-a-schmidt at arcor.de
Wed Mar 19 20:25:50 CET 2003

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:41:28 +0100, Stefan Schmitt wrote:

>> URW Nimbus Sans has a broken germandbls (ß) and is not
>> acceptable for German users.  Of course, when it is used
>> as a Helvetica substitute this applies as well, but you
>> can still obtain the real Helvetica fonts for free (sic!)
>
>Where can you get it?

You can take it out of any distribution of Acrobat Reader 3.
See old Linux CDs or Adobe's distribution of AR3 for OS/2.
(Note that you must not redistribute the fonts!)
I highly recommend to obtain these fonts, as long as they
are still available!

See also my article "Original oder Fälschung" in the magazine
of the German TeX user Group ("Die TeXnische Komödie), vol.12,
no.2 (July 2000).

>Are there any other of the "real" basic 35 fonts available for free?

The Times fonts (the real ones) come also with AR3, and
Courier, Symbol and ZapfDingbats are still provided with
newer AR versions.  However, they have no advantage over
URW's clones, which are indistinguishable.

--
Walter