[Fontinst] latest fixes for fontinst 1.914

Walter Schmidt w-a-schmidt at arcor.de
Mon Mar 17 21:00:08 CET 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:36:27 +0100, Philipp Lehman wrote:

>Sorry for jumping in in the middle of this, but are you guys really
>sure that this is the way to go?

Yes.

>The dot on an i is not an accent,
>it's part of the letter! As such, it is is placed higher than e.g. a
>dieresis accent. That's why there are fi and ffi ligatures but no fä,
>fö, fë, etc. ligatures after all.

The zdotaccent is (almost only) needed for the Polish language,
and Polish typography requires that the dot on the z matches
exactly the dot on the i.  See, for instance,
<http://studweb.euv-frankfurt-o.de/twardoch/f/en/typo/ogonek/>.
It says:  "In small zdotaccent (phon. zh), the kropka should be
always identically shaped and placed as the dot above i."

I am fully aware that correct Polish typography raises still
more questions which are hard to answer...

Greetings
Walter